Samuye is situated 17km from Shinyanga Town in the northern part of the Shinyanga Region of Tanzania . Shinyanga is the second largest region in Tanzania with a population of approximately 3 million people. The Shinyanga rural area alone, has an estimated population of 277,518. The Shinyanga rural area is divided into 16 Wards, of which Samuye is one of these.
Samuye Ward is divided into parts of villages; most of the villages are separated by a road and a bridge. SASHITA is currently concentrating on one village within the Samuye ward -. the population of the village is approximately 700 people.
- Tribe: Sukuma
- Language: Swahili or Sukuma
- Religion: 30% Christian. 5% Muslim. 65% non-believer/Pagan
- 99% of the population do not have access to safe clean water and have poor sanitation
- 99% of the population lives on less than £1 a day
- Almost 99%of people in Samuye are farmers and depend on agriculture
- 7 out of 10 adults are unable to read or write
Samuye Primary School
Even though there are no fees associated with attending primary school, families need to pay for:
- Exercise books
- School uniforms etc
Access to clean water
Women and younger people in the village walk miles fetching water. At times children do not attend school and spend their time helping their parents fetch water.